Thank you for considering adoption at the Humane Society of Portage County! We take pride in our efforts to place our animals in "forever" homes; to that end, our adoption coordinator and volunteer adoption counselors are skilled in interviewing potential adopters and encouraging proper matches. They assess our animals' personalities and activity requirements, then assist individuals and families in choosing a pet that will best fit their lifestyle.
The following adoption guidelines were implemented to ensure that the adoption experience is a wonderful one for both human and animal. If you have questions regarding the process, please contact us at 715-344-6012 and we will be happy to assist.
Puppies and adult dogs under 25 lbs. at adult weight - $200.00
Dogs one year old or younger, 25 lbs. or more adult weight - $150.00
Dogs over one year old, 25 lbs. or more adult weight - $120.00
Kittens up to 6 months - $100.00
Kittens 6 months to one year - $75.00
Cats over one year old - $40.00
Life partners - Cats who go home together will have one adoption fee!
FELV/FIV Testing (cats)
Bordetella Vaccination (dogs)
All dog and cats are spayed/neutered at no charge before leaving the humane society; animals too young for surgery may return to the shelter when appropriate for spay/neuter at no charge to the adopter.
- You must be 21 years of age with a valid ID showing your current address. You will be asked to verify your address if it does not match your driver's license.
- If you rent, we will need a landlord name and telephone number to verify that pets are allowed. Home ownership may be verified.
- All household members, both adults and children, may be asked to meet the pet prior to adoption.
- Current pets must be spayed/neutered prior to the adoption taking place.
- Current pets must have up-to-date rabies and distemper vaccinations; dogs must be licensed.
- On-site introductions between current dog and shelter dog are required.
- All dogs are to be adopted as companion animals.
- All cats are to be adopted as indoor pets.
Please choose your next family member thoughtfully - adding a new pet to your household is about more than price or a pretty face. If you need assistance with your decision, contact us for resources that will help you make the best choices.